I suppose I wanted to become a teacher even before I recognized it. I was the oldest of 4 children and I loved everything about school. Many days, I came home from kindergarten, lined my brothers up on the back stairs, and taught them what I had learned. I remember making the conscience decision in 6th grade. I never considered any other career and I absolutely loved every school year, embracing the challenge of instilling the desire to learn into my students.
I was born in Ohio and we moved to North Carolina when I was in the 4th grade. In 1980 we moved to Texas. I taught in Garland before moving to Plano for the opening of Frankford Middle School. I finished my classroom career in PISD. I enjoy reading, gardening, tutoring middle school math, teaching 4th– 6th grade Sunday School, along with numerous organizations I am involved with.
My husband and I live in Fairview. I have an 11 year old grandson in North Carolina, and his new baby brother to be born in March. We have 2 large dogs and 2 cats, so there is always something going on! My precious 93 year old mother is in a facility close by and it is my delight to spend time with her every day.
- B.S. Elementary Education, Western Carolina University
- Gifted Endorsement 1996
- 5th Grade Teacher, 4 years, North Carolina
- 8th Grade Teacher, 4 years, Mathematics, Science, English, North Carolina
- 6th Grade Teacher, 26 years, GT Mathematics, Honors and Regular Mathematics, Garland ISD, Plano ISD
- Presenter Gifted and Talented Convention (TAGT)
- Curriculum Writer, GISD and PISD, Presented at Teacher Inservice
- Math Department Head, Austin Academy, 12 years
- 6th Grade Team Leader, 4 years
- Frankford MS AVID Coordinator, 4 years
- Professional Development Trainer in Oklahoma, 5 years
- Wrote 6 Training Manuals for their teachers to use in on-going training
- Pearson Learning Trainer, Mathematics, Cooperative Learning, Coaching/Mentoring, Questioning Strategies
- Substitute Teacher in LoveJoy ISD
- Texas State Finalist for “Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching Math and Science, 2006
- Secondary Excellence in Teaching Award, PISD, 2000
- Frankford Middle School Teacher of the Year 2000
- Academy for Excellence (GISD) Teacher of the Year, 1988, 1989
- Recipient of Edith May Sliffe Award for Distinguished Mathematics Teaching, 1995
- Selected to attend the Texas Society of Professional Engineers, TSPE, Symposium on Math Literacy, 1995